When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am El-Shaddai- God Almighty. Serve me and live a blameless life.”
The Lord reveals Himself to Abram and makes a covenant with him. The terms of the covenant are:
* God will make Abram the father of nations
* Abram's name will now be Abraham
* Abraham will have many descendants
* the land of Canaan will be hid and his descendants'
* Abraham must circumcise every son and every male in his household.
* Abram's wife Sarai will be known as Sarah and she will bear many children.
God calls Abraham into a covenant of grace. Abraham has done nothing to earn this favour, yet God sets him apart for a unique role in the birth of a nation and in human history.
It is still true that God deals with us by means of grace, not by reward and punishment. He pours abundant blessing into the lives of everyone who puts their trust in Him.
Like the covenant with Abraham, God's covenant with us is everlasting- the gift of eternal life to all who follow Jesus.
Gracious loving Father, your love is everlasting. Thank you for the blessings you pour into my life. Amen.